Monday, June 25, 2012

Fire

For all of us who wished-for summer, it is here with a blast of 100 degree weather and fire almost everywhere around the state of Colorado. It makes beautiful sunsets but for those of us who like to head to the mountains for a reprise from the heat it's a no go. The fire in Fort Collins area is still burning out of control. I can't tell you how many people have called and asked if we are ok. I tell them the fire would have to burn down three cities to get to us. That is an awful thought, but it is true. The first day of the fire, my husband and I were headed to Ft. Collins, and we saw the smoke, I told him then that it would take all summer to put it out. Heat, drought and wind are not the ingredients for a hastily extinguished fire. Then you add the damage in the mountains that the pine beetle has done, which has killed millions of trees, only more tender for the fire. There are probably good things that will come after the fire, but no one is thinking about that now. They are imagining having the home of your dreams burnt to the ground and not being able to do anything about it. It almost makes you want to cry for them. Hundreds of homes will be burnt this summer, and the fires will scare the landscape for many years to come. Nature will renew and return our beautiful mountains to their former grandeur. Enough of the fire. A few weeks ago I declared myself a fabric artist, not that it is the first time I have made a piece of art from fabric but I decided I like to work in the medium of fibers and fabric. I have always loved to sew, crochet and embroider. My mother started me on embroidery when I was about 8 years old, one summer when I complained about being bored. I was hooked. When I decided to go to college the placement tests said I should go into Art, I laughed, who makes a living in Art?? I guess lots of people do but I couldn't see it. Since then I have beaded, painted, refinished wood, worked with metal and many other things. I love creating things. The biggest problem is I now feel I need a studio to work in. Using half a bedroom is not working. The next place we live must have enough room for me to set up a studio, it must also have a yard for a large garden, requirments for my happiness. We had our five year old granddaughter for over night on Friday. She is such a delight. What is it about children that age? Last summer I enrolled her in swimming lessons, and she is taking them again. We went to the pool Friday night and Saturday morning. She is so not afraid of the water now. It is wonderful, we had a great time. I got my hair completely wet, unusual for me. I ususally just hover with my head above water. I am so glad my grandkids have learned to swim, it makes me happy.

No comments: