Monday, October 04, 2010

PBS Newshour tribute to fallen warriors

Every night my husband and I watch the Newshour. My favorite part is the end when they pay tribute to the warriors who have died in combat. I cry everytime I watch it. As a daughter, wife, friend and mother of military men, I simply cannot watch that segment and not feel compassion, sympathy and a little guilt for the loss of life given for my freedoms. It is easy to question or justify the need to do this. I don't do that, well not much, but I do feel the pain of every mother, wife, daughter or friend of someone who has lost their life in combat.

On the other hand I complain about my own husband who is gone way too much, serving his country. I complain about the way the military treats people, their greatest asset. I complain about a lot that has to do with the job he does for the military.

One thing I realize is that this is a part of who he is. His dedication and patriotism. His compassion for the world. What he does is important to everyone in the military. He is a patriot. He loves his job. I would love nothing more than for him to come home tomorrow and tell me he is leaving the military. I would also be sad for him. The times that are the worst for me are the best for him.

My greatest wish is that the leadership in the military and the public appreciate the sacrifices people make for this crazy job they do. I wish that each and everyone of us, if not cry, at least feel the pain of the family and friends of those warriors who have given the ultimate price for us, the people of the United States of America and the people of the world.

No comments: